How to recover your own taxes an easy step by step guide
1. Read all the relevant legislation, rulings, bulletins, opinions and court cases.
2. Once you wake up from falling asleep shortly after beginning Step 1, wipe the drool from your face and start Step 1 again.
3. Call and email the relevant government agencies in an attempt to get clarification on areas you think might apply to you but can’t really tell because they seem to be written by a human thesaurus.
4. Wait on hold or wait for email response
5. Receive response. Response does not answer the question. Ask question again requesting clarification. Get a somewhat meaningful response. Ask question again requesting further clarification. Get a different response.
6. Place head in hands. Massage temples. Do not pull out hair. Consider calling LWA.
7. Decide to give it a go! Spend hours going through documents, pulling boxes of files, photocopying information, removing staples.
8. Treat paper cuts with antibiotic ointment before applying bandaid.
9. Organize backup, spend hours entering data, providing explanatory notes and writing cover letter
10. Try to find refund form. Find refund form. Try to figure out refund form. Consider calling LWA.
11. Two hours later, complete form. Mail in form, schedules and backup to tax authority.
12. Wait for refund to arrive in the mail. Check mail. Find letter from tax authority requesting twenty additional documents and giving you 5 days to do so.
13. Spend the next 4 days looking for documents, producing reports. Provide to tax authority.
14. Wait for refund to arrive in the mail. Check mail. Find second letter from tax authority requesting ten more documents and giving you 3 days to do so.
15. Spend the next 2 days looking for documents, producing reports. Provide to tax authority.
16. Wait for refund to arrive in the mail. Check mail. Find letter from tax authority indicating your refund has been denied.
17. Call LWA.